Saturday, August 18, 2007

Not a book, but a movie

Mike, my husband, and I watched the movie Kelly's Heroes in 1970. Admittedly, that was 37 years ago, but we remembered it as a good, funny movie. I remembered Donald Sutherland as a spaced-out hippie, I remembered his tank that shot paint and played loud music, and I remembered that that these army guys were trying to get some gold bars that were in a German bank behind enemy lines (the movie was set in WWII).
Since we subscribe to Netflix, and love it, we thought we'd like to see this movie again.
Decades make a big difference in perspective.
Yes, it had funny moments, and it's still a good movie. I don't know about Mike, but what I saw was greed, death and destruction.
The earlier memory was more fun, but this realization was more accurate.

2 comments:

Michael Clifford, L. Ac. said...

Both were probably true, as you said time changes your perspective.

I still like the tank shooting paint-balls. Now if they could only hit Rummy with them...

Dr. Barlow-Irick, PhD said...

There are so many movies that just violate my personal values... really anything with unnecessary violence (excessive or not important to the story). But people like to watch them. Mayhem and murder.... who wants that in their lives.

Carolyn Casey makes a point for not watching things that violate your personal values: You are laying tracks for the train of reality with your imagination. If its not the reality you want, quit imagining it.