Thursday, December 27, 2007

Too Good to Pass Up

I realize that I haven't reported on any books for a long time.
I've certainly read a lot of them. Many were excellent (some were not), but none made me feel compelled to write about them.
At last, I've read one that touched me so much that I'd feel like a dirty skunk if I didn't share a bit of it with you.
The book is Chosen by a Horse by Susan Richards (2006).
On the cover it says "How a broken horse fixed a broken heart". That may strike you as overly-sentimental, but the story isn't.
A lonely, fortyish woman takes in a starving horse and foal. The story takes off from there. It isn't a romanticized "National Velvet" kind of story. This has horse poop, illness, alcoholism and the possibility of sex.
Bet you get teary at the end, just like Mike and I did.

5 comments:

Suzanne44 said...

Beastiality, Audrie?

I'm shocked!!!

Aud the Angel said...

No, no, no, you nut! This was concerning a woman and a guy. And you knew that.

Suzanne44 said...

So the horse, I take it, doesn't suffer from alcoholism either?

Aud the Angel said...

It COULD be an alcoholic horse (from fermented mash), and a sober woman who's trying to lead the horse to AA.

Dr. Barlow-Irick, PhD said...

I have that same problem with several of my horses. They aren't on the wagon. With spring in the air, you know they are thinking about the possibility of sex too.