A friend loaned me her copy of Almost Adam by Petru Popescu (1996). What a neat story! A dedicated young scientist who has lived and studied in Africa for a few years is attracted to a remote area because of the possibility of discovering the remnants of a prior civilization. Not only does he find some anthropological history, he also encounters a boy showing every indication of being an example of an earlier evolutionary stage of humankind. They find ways to communicate, and develop a real fondness for each other.
There's a lot more to the story including treachery, overthrow of an African government, romantic love, and sex among the aborigines.
Did I get your attention?
Give the book a try. It's really excellent.
Monday, March 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
This does sound like an interesting read.
Have you ever heard of "Slave Species of God"? I ead part of it. Well enough written but I did not buy into the premise.
Thanks for commenting, Mike. I don't think I'll look for the one you mentioned, as your lack of enthusiasm shows.
This book looks like something that I would like to read. There is a very good review on Amazon as well.
You might also like the Wikipedia book (yes, it's *that* Wikipedia)avaliable from Amazon - "Introduction to Paleoanthropology" - it's at www.amazon.con/dp/0980070759
Post a Comment