Saturday, June 21, 2008

This Time, it's About Iran

I just finished a really good book, loaned by another friend. She had brought the book by my house at a time when I had almost an embarrasement of paperbacks I hadn't read which my husband had collected when he was away for a month. My friend's book was put at the bottom of a big stack. I finally finished with all the courtroom dramas and mysteries, so I could unenthusiastically start on my friend's book.
I loved it! The book is The Septembers of Shiraz by Dalia Sofer (2007). This is a first novel by a writer that I hope we hear a lot more from.
In it, she tells the story of an Iranian Jewish family as the country is taken over by the religious fanatics after the Shah was deposed. The family had become quite wealthy, which was a cause for envy and resentment, and the father was wrongly accused of spying, and thrown into prison where his captors tried to torture him into making a false confession. The book tells the story of the larger family, both the aging parents, and the wife and children, who were not even told that the man had been arrested.
It all sounds rather grim, but though the story is, the book isn't. It's just damn good.

No comments: