Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Ah yes, it's Barbara again....

If you've read any of my previous posts, you know that I have undying admiration for Barbara Kingsolver. Well, I just re-read The Poisonwood Bible (1998), and am absolutely awed by this woman's talent. I strongly urge you to read it if you haven't, or to re-read it for pure pleasure. As a slight refresher, here's just a hint of it. The story is that of a family who is moved to a tiny village in Africa as the choice of the father who is a preacher turned missionary. There are five voices in the book: the mother, the eldest daughter, the tomboy twin, the handicapped twin (another girl), and the youngest girl, who is about five.
Each time any one of the characters tell a segment of the story, it is told perfectly in that person's voice. The females get older, but the essence of each remains the same.
There's a lot of heartbreak in the story, but only because this magnificent writer makes us care so much.

No comments: