Since my last posting I've read a lot of good books, but only today am I impressed enough to write about not just one, but two books that I'd like to recommend. Oddly enough, they're both about boys.
The first one is classified as for "young adults" which I'm decidedly not, but it doesn't say that older persons can't read and enjoy it too. The name of the book is Last Night I Sang to the Monster by Benjamin Alire Saenz (2009). The story is about a high school student who is really messed up emotionally, and because of his heavy drinking is sent to a rehab place to dry out and hopefully gain some insight into his own actions. The "monster" referred to in the title is the fear that lives within this young man and serves to isolate him from those who would care about him. I want you to find out about this story on your own, so I'm telling you very little, except that there are many characters that you come to care about, and though there are tears awaiting you at the end of the book, they're tears of joy. And the author's picture at the back of the book shows him with a smile so captivating that you simply have to smile back.
The other book is What I Was by Meg Rosoff (2007). When I finished it, I said aloud to myself "What a magnificent book!". This, too, is about a fairly young boy, but it's set in England. There's not much "English" about it other than boarding school. This boy is a bit of a misfit and is happier alone than with his peers. He comes across another boy away from the school and this boy seems to represent all that our main character wants to be. The book is so well written and enjoyable throughout. You'll never suspect what's awaiting you near the end, so read it and find out.
Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment