Way back in the Dark Ages when I first wrote on this blog, the first one I tried to bring to your attention was Barbara Kingsolver's Animal.Vegetable,Miracle. In it, she told a fascinating story, but the book was essentially about food.
The one I just finished was about food also, but told in a completely different way. This was The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan (2006). What a writer this guy is! This book tells you about growing corn, feed-lots and cattle, growing grasses, and hunting wild pigs and mushrooms, but it does it in such a way that you're glued to every word. Even if the idea doesn't interest you, if you'll take a look at the book, it will probably captivate you -- just as it did me.
Sunday, October 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think Michael Pollan is one of the best writers on the planet. I also recommend his other book: Botany of Desire.
Although I've read it before, I'd enjoy reading it again, so I'll see if the library has it.
Post a Comment