Saturday, July 28, 2007

A Recent Find

My daughter and I share a common interest in "religious sightings", such as The Holy Tortilla, The Chocolate Virgin, Jesus on Grilled Cheese, and others. So when I saw a library book titled The Virgin of Small Plains by Nancy Pickard (2006), of course I had to try it.
Hey, it's a really good book. Small Plains is a small town, and the female in the title is not a virgin. When the townspeople find a young woman's body which they are unable to identify, they give her a Christian burial, and as years go by, a legend grows that she was a virgin and is subsequently credited with performing miracles for those who pray to her.
There is another story being told at the same time about two teenagers who are truly in love. The scene where they decide to consummate their relationship is one of the sexiest I've ever read. I'm not a fan of gratuitous sex scenes written to sell books, but this is instrumental to the story. You can almost feel the heat between these two.
I have since read sever books by Nancy Pickard, and she's always good. I liked this best of all.

3 comments:

Michael Clifford, L. Ac. said...

I think books about seeing the Virgin Mary in anything are not my cup of tea. But I am glad that theay appeal to someone... ;-)

Have you started the book I left with you?

Aud the Angel said...

I read the mystery(of course), but haven't started the spiritual one.

donna said...

Thank you for sending me the link to this page...now I can readily access it!
I enjoy your book reviews & plan on reading some of your recommendations.
I sometimes find myself reading everything I can get my hands on, without discrimination, just for the sheer pleasure of escapism; other times, I'm far more selective in my choices.
A friend once asked to let him know what I was reading because it gave him a better understand of where I was....I think that can be true. Thank you for letting us know where you are!