I always think I read everything that comes along, but have come to realize that I really don't. I don't read romances, westerns, regular detective stories, and not much in the self-help line anymore (Could I have given up?).
If those are your kind of books, please don't look here for any reviews of them.
I do read lots of political books, courtroom dramas, quality mysteries -- Richard North Patterson, John Grisham, and others -- and books about religion. Most of the latter are negative, but I read a spiritual one every now and then for balance.
I just finished The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (2006). Dawkins is a famous biologist who is known also as an atheist. The book got a little over my head in the middle (physics??!), but that was the only part that I didn't enjoy.
It was extremely well-written, and leaves you with much to think about.
Coming soon: one on spirituality.
Sunday, August 5, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I believe that you could very successfully write one of those "self-help" books.
I haven't much time for reading recently but really enjoy reading your reviews...wonder if I spend too much time reading blogs instead of books? Nope, I don't think so.
Thank you for the link to Michael's blog.
How about telling us something he said to make you think about???
MORE DETAILS, PLEASE!!!
I had always believed that our inclination toward "goodness" was as a result of the moral teachings of the great religions. Dawkins makes a good case for it being a behavior which evolved for mutual benefit. Enough?
I actually come down in the middle on this one. (Big Surprise) I think that the initial impetus (sp?) of creation was and is Divine Orchestration, however evolution is also happening and is shaping our world. Or as I have been taught "what the two extremes have in common is where you find the TRUTH." Of any subject.
Post a Comment