Are you thinking "Wow! A review on the 4th, the 5th and the 7th. This person is one fast reader". I am a fast reader, but didn't read three books in four days. I was reading them all at the same time.
The God Delusion was heavy, so I read some, then started another book which I also couldn't stay with steadily, so I read (part of) the Cornwell book as an alternative. Here's a short report on the middle one.
It was Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi (2003).
I liked and didn't like it, though never doubting that it's a good book. The author is a professor of literature, and while I would have adored her as an instructor when I was much younger, discussions of and analyses of major fiction aren't exactly my cup of tea now. That said, let me say that I very much enjoyed the stories that disclosed so much of life in Iran. The women in the book were bold and courageous -- and very likeable.
If for no other reason, you should read the book to learn a little about Iranian women.
Tuesday, August 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I know you and you are TOO that zippy!
How about some short level of synopsis? I can't tell if this book is a collection of short stories or a discussion of some thing else????
Sorry I didn't make it clear. There are no short stories, instead there are discussions of The Great Gatsby, Lolita, Pride and Prejudice, etc. The discussions are by former students of Dr. Nafisi's, who are meeting secretly in her home. They shed their veils and scarves as they enter the door, and shed a lot of their public appearances, also. Like women everywhere.
Post a Comment