Since the last post, I read a couple of mysteries by Harlan Coben, whose books are always good. However, since I read so many mysteries, I instantly forget the plot, and sometimes buy (as a used book) or check out the same one. If it's a library book, I simply return it, or I use a purchased one as a trade-in.
As a change of pace, I then read Final Gifts -- subtitle: Understanding the special awareness, needs, and communications of the dying -- by Maggie Callanan and Patricia Kelley (1992). I believe the subtitle tells you probably as much as you might want to know about this one, other than that I found it gentle, factual and worthwhile.
The main subject of this post, though, is High Tide in Tucson by Barbara Kingsolver (1995). I thought I had read most of her books, but somehow, I missed this one. Why didn't any of you guys tell me about it??? I don't remember enjoying a book this much in a long, long time , if ever. This is a collection of essays Barbara has written over the years. She writes of a hermit crab; weather in Tucson; her career; childhood; a secret slut society; divorce; living in Spain; a visit to Africa; traversing a volcano in Hawaii; being in a rock band; and well, you get the idea. I love her attitude about almost everything. If I had to be lost on that mythical island with only one book, I take this one. It gives you so darn much to think about.
Saturday, August 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
m glad you finally read Final Gifts!!! I rthink it is a GREAT BOOK, but then again that says a lot about me and my peculiar tastes...
I'll borrow both of them, if I may. Okay... after I return the ones I have!!!
Post a Comment