Friday, October 5, 2007

An Exception --- At last!

I've gone quite a while between postings because although I've been reading a lot, none of the books were anything I cared to write about. They weren't bad, just kind of run-of-the-mill.
Finally, a friend loaned an excellent book.
It's The God of Animals by Aryn (that's a girl) Kyle (2007).
This book tells the story of a young girl/woman growing up on her daddy's horse ranch. The father was a horse trainer whose big dreams got in the way of any practicality. The mother was severely depressed and confined herself to her upstairs bedroom. There was an older sister who had been the darling of the ranch community because of her innate ability to ride, perform and bond with horses.
Then there's Alice, the younger girl. Alice's sister had run away with a young cowboy, leaving Alice and her dad trying get a little financial stability out of their ranch. Eventually, they were desperate enough to offer to board horses for the wealthy young matrons of the community. There's such a contrast between the lives of the characters in this book, and I can't imagine that it would fail to hold the interest of any reader.
This is Aryn Kyle's first novel. Let's hope she writes a whole lot more.

1 comment:

Suzanne44 said...

I'm so glad you liked it. I was terribly envious of her for writing such a good first novel.