Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Just Plain "WOW"!

I haven't posted anything for a while because I've been reading a really big book (think "Hawaii"). This one was almost 800 pages, and that's in fairly small print. The book is AZTEC, by Gary Jennings (1980). Thanks to a good librarian, this came to my attention.
The story traces the entire lifespan of an Indian native to Mexico prior to and during the Spanish invasion. The narrator, Mixtli, is telling of his life and of his country to a group of priests who have commanded him to do so.
The story is divided into segments as transcribed by the priests to be sent to His Excellency, the Emperor of Spain. The book is so well done that not only do you learn about Mixtli, you also get several chuckles about the priests.
I'm so glad I got to read this book. I feel that it's probably pretty accurate historically, but it's also darn good entertainment.

1 comment:

Rising Rainbow said...

It's so amazing what we can learn through good fiction.