Sunday, September 2, 2007

More than Memorable

I recognize that I probably sound overly enthusiastic in my book reviews, but I seem to be going through a cycle of only being exposed to excellent, one-of-a-kind books.
My latest love affair is with Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen (2006). The author's picture on the inside of the book's back cover shows her to be a pretty, young woman -- so how could she possibly portray the old (90 or 93, he's not sure which) man in a retirement home with such bull's-eye accuracy? I hope I'm not infringing on the copyright to quote just a small segment.
*******************************************************************************
" There's dead silence in the room. I look around. All eyes are trained on me. "What?" I say loudly. "Is that so much to ask? Doesn't anyone else here miss real food? Surely you can't all be happy with this ... this ... pap?" I put my hand on the edge of my plate and give it a shove.
Just a little one.
Really.
My plate shoots across the table and crashes to the floor. "
**********************************************************************************
Isn't that great! I'm going to drive the library nuts trying to get her other books.
Anyway, the basic story is about a young almost-veterinarian who ends up caring for the animals in a circus train during the depression years. The narrator is the old man who is remembering.
You'd have to be a real pickle-puss not to enjoy this one. Remember her name. Sara Gruen.

2 comments:

Suzanne44 said...

We've been reading the same books - and I loved this one, too.

I know a book you'd enjoy - have you read The God of Animals by Aryn Kyle?

Aud the Angel said...

Not yet, but thanks for the recommendation.