I am not a lover of history --- except sometimes, and on certain subjects. I don't know a lot about the depression except that my parents lived through it, and that I was born near the end of it. And other than seeing The Grapes of Wrath several times over the years, I don't know much about the American Dust Bowl which happened in the same period of time.
But now, thanks to Timothy Egan, Pulitzer Prize winning reporter, I know a whole lot more about each of them. His book, The Worst Hard Time (2006), covers both grim subjects in an enjoyable manner.
Are you aware that more land was ruined in Kansas than in Oklahoma? Do you know that the major cause was greed? How about Americans starving to death? Ever hear of a soil temperature of 142? And no matter what your political persuasion, I believe this book will lead you to a lot of admiration for Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
I'm sure this review could not make you eager to read the book, but I was very impressed with it. Give the book a try. I bet you'll agree with me.
Friday, September 7, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment