Tuesday, May 12, 2009

And the next...

What a change from the previous book! This one was Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs (2002). The book is a memoir, but it's hard for me to believe that people could actually behave as they are said to have done. Everyone in the book is nuts! The least nuts is the kid who is telling the story, but some of his screws could probably use a little tightening as well. He has horrible parents (one is certifiable, the other an icicle), and as if they're not bad enough, he is placed in the custody of a psychiatrist who should have been locked in a padded cell.
I was uncomfortable in reading details of the first homosexual encounter, and didn't enjoy reading about the psychiatrist's delight in displaying his bowel movements. Nonetheless, It's a good book, and well written. We just don't have to believe it.

1 comment:

Dr. Barlow-Irick, PhD said...

Thanks for the warnings!!!

Glad that you are writing again. I missed hearing about books and I know you are still reading....