Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Disappointing Bestseller

There is nothing wrong with this book.It won the National Book Award,and had many enthusiastic reviews.It was only disappointing to me, and that's because of my own circumstances. The book is The Year of Magical Thinkingby Joan Didion (2006). In it, she tells the story of the death of her husband and her gradual recovery from the shock of it. She went on "automatic pilot" and she coped well, but internally, she was anticipating his return. That's the extent of the "Magical Thinking". My circumstances are that my own husband died less than two years ago and because of that, my thinking has changed a great deal. I bought the book hoping to read that someone else had experiences similar to mine. I'm in the process of writing my own book which will have a lot more of what some would call "magic", but I don't. I call it "contacts". Ms Didion is an excellent writer and award winner. I'm not.

1 comment:

Aud the Angel said...

May I explain that the blog wouldn't let me correct my own errors. The book title didn't print in bold italics and there wasn't a space between the title and the next word. Sorry.