Friday, July 20, 2007

First, Best, Current, Important

Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle (2007)
Many of us are familiar with Kingsolver's earlier work -- The Bean Trees, The Poisonwood Bible, and other excellent fiction. This one is fact.
She tells the story of when their family moved from Tucson, Arizona (around 2003) to a farm in Appalachia, where, as a family they made a committment to
eating only locally produced food. Each family member was allowed to choose one item that couldn't be grown locally. The father chose coffee. Barbara chose spices. The elder daughter chose dried fruit, while the younger one had to have her hot chocolate. They learned to produce their own food, or to buy from local farmers. Barbara and the girls even became proficient at making cheese.
Anyone who likes gardening will enjoy the seasonal stories, and persons who are interested in health aspects of organic food will enjoy the rest.
My short description doesn't, of course, do the book justice, but let's hope I get better at this. Suggestions would be welcome.
The book is excellent, and probably available in your local library.

2 comments:

Dr. Barlow-Irick, PhD said...

Okay, now I have to read the book because I want to know if Barbara stayed in Appalachia. If I had to pick just one non-local thing it would be tea.

JRW

Michael Clifford, L. Ac. said...

I would, of course, go for coffee. I mean if it were currently introduced via the FDA it would be a class C narcotic...

Congrats on the blog