Friday, May 15, 2009

About as good as it gets

I enjoyed reading every word in the third one of the books loaned by Marilyn.
The book is Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan, self-published in 1991, then picked up by HarperCollins. In it, she, an American woman, tells the true story of visiting Australia and being invited to go on a walkabout with the Aborigines. She had been working with half-caste, suicidal adults in a major city on one side of Australia when she was invited to come to the coast on the other side of the continent to meet with a group of true Aborigines. She was expecting to simply address them; instead, she was invited to shed her clothing, put on a robe, and go walkabout with them. Wearing high heels, yet! The shoes quickly fell apart, and her bare feet finally toughened up. They walked across Australia in approximately three months, with no water and no food. She learned to eat unusual things, and that water can be found if you know where to look. The most treasured part of the experience was the spiritual growth and understanding of these persons who call themselves "The real people"
How much did I like this book? Enough that I instantly went to Amazon.com and bought my own copy.

3 comments:

Michael Clifford, L. Ac. said...

This sounds like an incredible book.
I will look for it in the library

Thanks

Aud the Angel said...

I thought I'd lend my copy to both you and Pat.

Dr. Barlow-Irick, PhD said...

I read this book about 15 years ago. It's a fun read, but I don't believe that it is factual. I look forward to reading it again!